Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Always Remember

"Never doubt in the darkness what God has shown you in the light." --David Winter

There's been a lot of death lately, and I'm not just talking about celebrities. In the past month or so, I just feel like there's been so much loss in people's lives. There were some siblings I used to swim with in high school, and their mom passed away two years ago. Their dad died this weekend...there are 8 kids, the youngest in 2nd grade. The 24 year old moved home and is paying the bills and taking care of the kids. My heart just aches for them, and for everyone who's experienced such terrible loss.

I was talking to my friend Jamie about how sad I was for people and how it was hard to not think about it sometimes, and she offered this wonderful advice: Always remember God's goodness to you in the past.

I immediately reflected on the past year and the word "grace" automatically came to mind. This year, God spared Kortney's life, and He healed my dad's body of cancer. God restored friendships I never thought could be restored, and He put the most wonderfully encouraging and godly people in my life to help me get through the year.

It was the hardest year of my life. I experienced a lot of heartache and grief...but I've gotten to a point where I'm so thankful for all that happened because of how much I've learned about God. I understand words like "grace" so much better. I understand God's love and provision so much more. How could I lose sight of that?

It's okay to be sad for people and to have a heavy heart, but it can't get to the point where my view of God's goodness is clouded by grief. God is good all the time. His will is perfect always. If it's hard to put hope in God's promises for the future, then just look to the past at all He's already done for you. Always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment